Confinement month

Every Chinese women especially in Asia need to undergo confinement for a period of 30 days once she gave birth to a baby. Malaysian Chinese women still practicing a strict common traditional post-natal confinement concept.

There are many traditional confinement rules to practice although some are no medical logic. Some old-fashioned Chinese confinement taboos and restrictions such as no shower, no washing hair, no going out, no air-conditioner or fan in the room and bathing only with water specially infused herbs for a whole month. Old people believe it will result in mother's health problems when she gets older nor issues in conceiving another baby.

Before I delivery, I still thinking how I going to adhere to all those rules and restrictions. I had bath with a herbal water prepared by my confinement lady on third day but i was scolded when my mom heard. After bath, my left leg and hand and the joint were pain from inner bones and last for a month. I started to believe how true the confinement rules that old people said. Since then, the second time I bath was on day eighteen and my first hair wash on my baby shower day party that was day tweenty five. I has no touch to water for a month and only do my daily face and breast cleasing with boiled hot water mix with white spirit liquor. I was amazed how I survived throughout the whole month and I sweat like do heavy exercise after each meal everyday. The sweat non stop from day to night. Lucky the sweat is not make me feel sticky, I think more to like drained out my body extra fluid while pregnancy.

I gave birth naturally. My episiotomy wound heal and the pain gone in about 8 days. Here is some tips to take care my wound. I used normal saline solution and non woven gauze to clean after each pee and pour some yellow solution on each pad and also tab with feminine wash once a day. My gynea doctor asked what I used to clean my wound and said have not seem such clean wound when I have my post-natal visit on day 8.

When come to confinement diet, I have no worries because my engaged confinement lady's cooking is good. She followed no salt, no oil, no fried and only cook with white spirit liquor and glutinous rice wine, lot of ginger diet. She cooked soup to increase breast milk  and my self prepared herbal soup for me each day. I have plenty of soups to drink every meal and have no plain water but only consumed red dates tea for a period of 30 days.

herbal soup and papaya fish soup




For Indonesia and Malay community,  they will have some traditional post-natal massage that will bring some benefit like locate the uterus back to its position and put on a binder to get back the shape. As a Chinese in Malaysia,  we see the benefit of it and will also go for it. I had mine started on day 5 and continue for 3 days, stop one day because the massage lady could not come then continue for another 3 days then twice a week for a total 8 session.

session 8

This is my first baby, so I have to learn alot from my experienced confinement lady about how to take care of baby like feeding, bathing and etc. I was stressed up when my little one don't want to bottle feed. Is it because my technique of feeding is wrong or I gave her too much of direct breast feed for the past few days to intent to stimulate breast milk production? Finally I decided not to direct beast feed her at first because afraid she is not eating enough (my breast milk supply not enough), second to make her like bottle feed and not only my nipples.

I am totally amazed with my determination for all those rules and diet and unbearable hot climate, sweating like rain, no shower, no hair wash, no direct fan and air cond only in late afternoon and night when my hubby was home (he must have air cond), gingery and winery tasteless diet, no going out except go to hospital while my baby admitted. I think I shall reward myself for my determination and tolerance.

Although in principle, the new mother has to enjoy her confinement period while recuperating from childbirth but because I was suffering from bone n joint pain during my one month long confinement, I rather follow than suffer in later age.

Indonesian origin massage lady: Kak Yati 016- 7408653
 (she is very good, do home visit, stay at Perling Johor Bahru, I stay at Skudai and she takes bus to come or you can offer transport to her. Original from Java )

Confinement lady: You Di Aunt 016-7646942
 (Johor bahru or Singapore area)

Comments

  1. Hi Mummy,

    I'm looking for a CL as i'm expecting for my 2nd child.Would like to check with u how is your CL? which level of satisfied? Did she calculative? Will she help on some house work?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

宝宝四个月收涎仪式

在家坐月子餐

Best Vegan Food @Impian Emas & Setia Tropika